A Lawsuit Against an HVAC Contractor
The good news is that the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects the job growth in the HVAC (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) field at 34% through 2020 which means there will be a lot of work.
The bad news is that you can still be sued. Consider this recent Louisiana case:
- A homeowner sued an HVAC company because of alleged faulty instructions received from a company employee. The plaintiff alleged that she went into an attic with the employee. When she moved around the HVAC unit, she fell through the unprotected ceiling to the floor below and broke her leg.
- The plaintiff claimed the employee asked her to look in a certain spot but did not shine his flashlight (which he was holding) on the hazardous area. She also alleged that the employee knew of the hazard but failed to warn her and that he did not take reasonable steps to protect her safety.
While the amount being sued for was unspecified, the damages she is suing for include these ten items:
- Additional hotel expenses
- Wages for someone to oversee contractor work
- Rental fees for an apartment in Texas
- Medical expenses
- Loss of earning capacity
- Physical pain
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Mental pain and suffering
- Keen mental anguish and more
Will Your Insurance Protect You Against All That?
It better. Because if it doesn't, you could lose your business and even your personal assets if you come out on the losing end of a lawsuit like this one. The key area to examine is your business liability insurance. Does it protect you against all of the hazards mentioned above? Will counsel be provided to you through the duration of the lawsuit? Most importantly, does your policy contain adequate limits in case the suit is judged in favor of the plaintiff?
Business property insurance is important too. It protects you against property damages to structures listed on your policy including additions and improvements made to the property. Make sure this protection includes contents coverage. This will protect you against losses to items inside the buildings like computer equipment, files, furnishings, etc.
USA Business Insurance
Let us help you with these and inform you about all of the valuable protection you may want such as loss of business income, payment for additional expenses in the event of a loss and protection for damage to additional property you might have.
USA Business Insurance will customize the HVAC policy to your business and make it affordable as possible. Contact us today.